Why Does Our Cocker Spaniel Keep Looking Up At Imaginary Objects?
Why does our cocker spaniel keep on looking up at imaginary objects?
Reply From Pauline (Web Owner)
Does your dog do this in one room only or does he do it in other rooms too? Answering this question may help you to get to the bottom of your dog's fascination with the ceiling!
There are several reasons why your Cocker Spaniel may be focusing on 'imaginary objects', as follows:
- He may simply be listening to sounds above him.
- If there's no-one above you, you may have mice under the floorboards in the room above. He could be listening to them scratching and scampering around.
- He may simply be looking at reflections on the ceiling, particularly if they're moving. Sometimes the television can cause moving reflections - fan lights can also do the same.
- Do you have any water pipes, air ducting, central heating pipes etc., above the ceiling? He may be listening to these.
- Check all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. They very often bleep quietly when the battery needs changing. He may be listening to a bleep but unable to determine where it's coming from.
- An ear infection could cause him to believe he's hearing sounds above him.
- It could be a symptom of neurological problems.
If you can rule out all except the last two on the list, I would recommend a trip to the vets - even if it's only to rule them out.