How Will I Know When My Cocker Spaniel
Is About To Give Birth?
(Maryville, TN, USA)
Cocker Spaniel Bitch And Her Beautiful Little Puppies
How will I know it's almost time for my cocker spaniel to have her babies? Her belly is bulging on both sides and very hard.
I don't know how far along she is so how will I know when to keep her in her bed?
Reply from Pauline (Web Owner)
Bitches usually give birth approximately 63 days after being mated. As you don't know when that was, this is probably not going to be of much help to you, is it?
However, the following may help:
- You don't need to 'keep her in bed' as she'll do this herself. She'll begin 'nesting' by fussing with her blankets and bedding - trying to create a nice comfortable place to give birth to her babies;
- She may appear to lose her appetite - she may even be sick;
- Her belly may appear to drop;
- She may seem a bit more 'clingy' than normal;
- Her temperature will probably drop a couple of degrees, to below 100 degrees Fahrenheit, although unless you're monitoring this you won't know;
- Her nipples will become engorged;
- She will probably pace backward and forward;
- She may begin panting and appear uncomfortable;
- She may cry or whimper.
Your bitch will be quite capable of delivering her own puppies, without any assistance, however, I recommend that you let her vet check her over, just to be on the safe side, especially if it's her (and your!) first litter.
Enjoyed this page? Click 'Like'!
If you enjoyed this page, please click on the 'Like' button below and tell your friends about us. Thank you.