Dog poisons, innocently disguised as ordinary household cleaners and gardening products, can prove lethal to your pet - accidental poisoning happens all too easily - don't let it happen to yours!
We use a wide variety of chemicals to clean our homes and keep our gardens in tip top condition, so it's important to understand which ones can harm our pets (and of course our children) so that we can keep them locked up or out of reach.
Household cleaners such as bathroom and kitchen sprays, drain de-blockers, bleach, oven cleaner, and general detergents, contain corrosives and caustics which, if swallowed, can burn your pet's mouth, throat and stomach.
Cockers are curious and many like to chew on anything they can get their jaws on, that's why it's sensible to keep household products such as these kept locked away from our pets at all times.
Medicines are often flavoured to make them taste better, not only that, they're usually very colourful too!
Unfortunately, this can mean that they're more likely to be attractive to our pets and our children.
That's why it's important to keep all medicines, prescribed for human use out of reach of your Cocker Spaniel - be safe!
We mustn't forget pet medicines either.
For example, organophosphates and carbamates are used in preparations for de-fleaing and worming your pet.
These are absorbed through the skin and, if applied incorrectly or to often, (accidentally, of course) it can result in an overdose and affect your pet 's nervous system.
Always follow the application instructions on the manufacturers' packaging.
The garage may store many substances which could prove fatal to your pet.
Petroleum products, if consumed, can be poisonous to dogs and can cause burning of the mouth, throat, and stomach - it doesn't bear thinking about, does it?
If your Spaniel is sick after ingesting petroleum products, it can enter his air ways, resulting in aspiration pneumonia and even lung damage.
Do not induce vomiting if your pet ingests petroleum products unless specifically instructed to do so by your vet.
Symptoms include difficulty in breathing, panting, pawing at the mouth, tremors, and convulsions.
In serious cases, particularly where treatment is not administered quickly, your Spaniel may develop respiratory failure with fatal consequences.
The biggest killer in the garage is antifreeze (Ethylene Glycol).
It has a sweet smell and a taste that dogs love, even a small amount (half a teaspoon per pound dog weight) can kill!
Antifreeze poisoning can take effect very quickly and can cause vomiting, staggering, weakness, coma and death within 12 - 36 hours. You have been warned - please lock it away!
Don't forget when treating your lawn or garden with fertilizers and weed killers to check on the packaging, as many recommend that you keep your pet away from the treated area until it dries completely.
There are many normal, everyday human foods that can potentially poison your Cocker.
Most of these will need to be eaten in large quantities to do any real damage, but, if eaten regularly, some toxins may build up in your dog's body and may cause him serious harm.
Learn about human foods that may poison your pet.
Rat poisons, slug pellets, ant killer, insecticides, and weed killers - many of us may have some of these products sitting on a shelf somewhere in our greenhouse or our garden shed.
The chemicals in these products can be lethal for your pet, if he manages to get hold of them.
Arsenic is usually found in slug killer, weed killer and insecticides which, when eaten, can cause death quite quickly.
Observable signs are thirst, drooling, vomiting, staggering, abdominal pain, and diarrhoea.
If you suspect your Spaniel is suffering from arsenic poisoning, check his breath, it may smell of garlic - phone the a vet immediately and inform him of the symptoms.
Sometimes lead can be found in insecticides and other garden products, and also in paints.
However, not many paints contain lead today, so there is less risk of poisoning for puppies when chewing painted surfaces - as puppies do!
Symptoms of lead poisoning may include loss of appetite, abdominal pain, vomiting, chomping of the jaws, and constipation quickly followed by diarrhoea.
The nervous system may also be affected, causing seizures, muscle spasms, excitation, paddling of the legs, lack of coordination, disorientation and circling.
We would like to point out that the chemicals and toxins we have mentioned here do not represent a complete list of dog poisons in a household environment - there are many, many more toxins that could harm your pet.
Information given here is intended for guidance only.
If your Cocker accidentally eats any dog poisons, consult your veterinary without delay - guidance is given here on what to do in an emergency.
Please Click Our 'Like' Button!
If you enjoyed this page, please click on the 'Like' button below and tell your friends about us. Thank you.
Enjoyed this page? Click 'Like'!
Photo Credits - In order of viewing:
1. Mohamad Osama at http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-images-house-cleaning-chemicals-image23463769
2. Lleanaolaru http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-photography-medicines-image13045577
3. Mr Gus at Flickr.com
4. Mr Gus at Flickr.com
5. Mr Gus at Flickr.com